So as some of you may know, after 10.5 years of being together, my S/O and I finally decided to get married! We had a moderately long engagement (a year and a half) which gave me plenty, or perhaps too much time to plan everything out.
I was never one of those girls that dreamed about her wedding day, so I went into this completely unsure what I wanted to do with everything. My (then) Fiancé and I sat down, picked colors, and talked about what kind of location we wanted for our wedding.
The number one thing we both agreed on, we wanted somewhere where our Family and wedding party could stay with us for the weekend.
The hunt started, and I found an amazing place on AirB&B. Affordable and we were able to rent out the entire lodge for the wedding.
Immediately we visited the location and toured it. We fell in love almost instantly. The views were stunning, owner was kind, and the property was well cared for.
Some tips for those looking for a smaller private venue:
- Make sure you plan a budget first. Know how much you’re able and willing to spend on a venue
- Find one that allows weddings, if you search AirB&B on your computer browser, there is an option for places that allow events
- Make sure the venue can handle the capacity
- Tour the venue more than once if possible. We toured ours twice before putting a deposit down.
- Look at reviews, and let them help you decide
- Bring more than just yourself and your Fiance’ to tour the venue. We brought along his older sister, my MOH and one of his Best Men the first visit, and the second we brought our moms.
- Be prepared that no location will please everyone. We had some people unsure about our venue, and even guests who said they visited the website and just weren’t sure how we’d be able to pull it off, and then were FLOORED to see how beautiful it turned out.
Some Questions to ask when touring your venue:
- How much will it cost to have XX people stay?
- Will it cost extra to have the wedding on site?
- Do we have to use a specific caterer?
- Do we have to use a specific table Bar-tender? DJ?
- Are Tables and chairs included in rental?
- Is parking for wedding guests included?
- Does the venue have a tent for parties?
- What is expected of guests renting the space
- What type of decor is allowed?
- Are departure celebrations allowed? (IE Sparklers, bird seed being tossed, flower petals…)
- Is there a quiet time?
- Are bathrooms included, or will you need a porta-potty? We got lucky, ours included 2 porta-potties.
- Are there areas guests cant go into? For example, we had guests let themselves into the Goat enclosure, even though we were told no one was allowed, I guess some guests thought they didn’t need to follow that rule. We also had guests enter the lodge, that was off limits (and had signs all over) and help themselves to Truly, and other food provided by our wedding party and crew helping us. Be ready to deal with these, and find out what areas are 100% off limits. I didn’t find out about most of these issues until after the wedding, and people started posting videos and photos to social media. Be prepared for extra charges in the event that people don’t follow the rules.
- Do you need to pack out your own garbage and recycling? We packed out all our own recycling, which saved a ton of space in their dumpster, and prevented a bunch of stuff from going to the landfil
Next post, I’ll talk about how we used the space at the Lodge we rented, and how we chose where the ceremony was vs the reception!